Special Education Law
ASPIRE’s education attorneys have a track record of helping school districts navigate complex and often emotional situations, and doing so in a manner that is fair, reasonable and within our clients’ budgets.
We assist school districts in establishing and implementing special education-related policies, procedures and manuals. We offer legal opinions and provide customized training programs to help assure legal compliance and minimize the risk of exposure to litigation.
Our Legal Services
Our attorneys regularly advise on and represent school districts regarding a wide variety of special education issues arising under state law and the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, including:
- Compliance with state and federal laws
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Department of Education compliance complaints
- Office for Civil Rights Investigations
- Eligibility determinations and accommodations/facilities modifications
- Individualized Education Assessments
- IEP-related services and behavior plans
- Least restrictive environment placement
- Free and Appropriate Public Education issues
- Comprehensive risk avoidance and litigation prevention strategies
- Obligations to students placed in charter schools, private schools, residential treatment centers and other nonconventional educational programs
Further, we assist schools and school districts in establishing and implementing special education-related policies, procedures and manuals. We offer legal opinions and provide customized training programs to help assure legal compliance and minimize the risk of exposure to litigation.
Extensive Experience Clients In and Out of Court
ASPIRE education attorneys have extensive experience in effectively representing clients in IEP meetings, resolution meetings, mediations, due process hearings resulting from parent complaints, and appeals of due process hearings before federal district and appellate courts. Our attorneys have successfully represented school districts in due process hearings and appellate matters on a wide range of issues, including eligibility, appropriateness of assessments, least restrictive environment, autism methodology, requests for reimbursement for nonpublic schools and residential placements, and attorneys’ fees requests.